Sunday, March 27, 2011

going to the movies

According to the latest issue of BRW, the most popular cultural activity is going to the movies with two out of every three Australians attending the cinema at least once a year. The spend at local cinemas? $1.3 billion in 2010, the highest spend yet. (We spent a bit of $2 bilion on books.)

I had a quick look at the ABS figures and the latest I could find were 2009, when 65% of Australians went to the movies, of that 65% a little over half went to the cinema five or more times. That's pretty enthusiastic movie going.

Interestingly (for a YA/childrens publisher) 95% of 15 to 17 year olds went to the cinema. Wow. I wish that many had read a book.

1 comment:

Charmaine Clancy said...

I'm trying to convert a few of the boys in high school that are 'I'll just see the movie' kids. It's getting easier with great authors like James Patterson, I just say, "okay, but just so you know, I guy gets 'gut-shot' in this novel (Daniel X)" That seems to win them over :)

Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers