Saturday, June 11, 2011

"Inside the Story"

It was a pleasure to go down to Frankston to talk to the Chisholm Writing and Professional Publishing Students. I hope they enjoyed it as much as I did. (I heard from the lovely Shirley Marr that Mr Billington had enjoyed the talk.) It was fun to be in a dark smoky bar in the middle of the day - much better than any formal lecture theatre. Thanks to Julie Richards for inviting me. (I would also like to thank Shirley Marr again for allowing me to use the submission letter she wrote when she submitted Fury to black dog.)

I did say I would put up the links I had mentioned in my talk:

Kindle Direct for self-publishing on the kindle platform
Create Space the print-on-demand Amazon option for self-publishing
Smashwords ebook publishing for authors and independent publishers
Cursor and when you properly understand what Richard is doing do please let me know
Red Lemonade one of Richard/Cursor's first publishing ventures

A blog to follow about how publishing is changing:

If you are interested in what is happening in the publishing industry in a little more detail then two conferences worth following the buzz on are


And if I did not actually say it in these words: Public success as a writer for most writers is now 1% inspiration and 99% self-promotion and publicity. So don't be shy. The few who do it successfully work hard and spend a lot of time doing it - the promotion (as well as the writing).


No comments: