Sunday, August 13, 2006

Queenie publicity

I commented in an earlier blog on the difficulty of getting publicity for children's books compared to adult books. Now I'm being proved wrong by the dazzling publicity for Queenie: One Elephant's Story. Full pages in the Herald Sun and the Age, reviewed in the Australian, an author interview and talkback on Derek Guille on 774 - and that's just part of it. It is amazing how the publicity is drawing out people with a connection to the Queenie story including the grandson of Lawson, Queenie's keeper. A "think local" story that has much wider echos.

2 comments:

Mack said...

I read the piece in The Age, and found the subject matter quite morose for a children's book.

I have a three-and-a-half year old, and he's still coming to terms with the concept of death. As is his father.

Although I don't like the idea of shielding children from some of life's unpleasantness, brevity before bedtime is the preferred mantra in our household.

I'd be interested to know how the author tackles the dark nature of the story itself. I take it the bullet through the head isn't graphically depicted...

Andrew's black dog blog said...

I think you should read the book. I think it is quite beautiful (but I would). Another beautiful book on death is Old Pig, which I recall reading some years ago to my daughter. I've read lots of books at bedtime as has any parent, but this reading stands out in my memory as a binding emotional experience for both of us. In the West we hide from death too much, and it's a subject that makes the best stories.